USS Midway

Paperless Citizenship Applications for our U.S. Service Members and Veterans

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services today announced that our Service Members and Veterans can now file an Application for Naturalization, online.

1. Those currently serving or who have served in the armed forces may be eligible to apply for naturalization under special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

2. The naturalization application fee is waived for military members and veterans, as are some of the requirements. Until now, U.S. service members and veterans filed a paper Form N-400. Provisions of the law extend some immigration benefits to the family member of a service member.

3. USCIS may use previously submitted biometrics if available. (If U.S. service members are stationed outside the United States, they may submit two properly completed FD-258 fingerprint cards and two passport-style photos taken by the military police or officials with the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate.)

Military Members will still need to comply with the legal requirements of Naturalization

· Good Moral Character- (prior arrests/convictions either in the U.S. or in another country, even if expunged, marital issues, failure to timely pay or file taxes and failure to pay court-ordered alimony and child support are legal issues to be addressed with a Lawyer)

· Continuous Residency in the U.S. (if you are currently active duty, you may not have to reside in or be physically present in the U.S. for any length of time before you apply for naturalization.)

· Physical Presence

· Venue

· Language

· U.S. Government and History Knowledge

· Demonstrate an attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution.

Scroll to Top